03. FIDE World Senior Championships
Approved by FIDE Council on 13 March 2023
1. FIDE World Senior Championships shall be governed by these Rules, starting from 2023.
Participation & Prize Distribution
2. There shall be the following categories:
2.1 Open 50+, open to all players who are 50 or older in the year of the tournament
2.2 Open 65+, open to all players who are 65 or older in the year of the tournament
2.3 Women 50+, open to all women who are 50 or older in the year of the tournament.
2.4 Women 65+, open to all women who are 65 or older in the year of the tournament.
3. With FIDE support the organizer of the competition should ensure representation of all continents and at least 20 (?) players in each of the categories (2.1-2.4).
4. FIDE Events Commission (EVE) is responsible for the exceptional decisions regarding final configuration of the categories mentioned in Rules 2.3 & 2.4. above in cases when the requirements of Rule 3 above are not met. All decisions in this regard must be made at least two weeks before the start of the competition.
5. The Championships are open tournaments for players registered by their federation. FIDE member federations shall have the right to send as many players as they wish.
6. The top 3 players from each category of the previous year's World Senior Championships shall have personal right to participate. If World Senior Championships had not been organised in the previous year, then EVE shall decide about personal rights.
7. In addition, the top 3 players from each category of the previous year's Continental Senior Championships are qualified with personal right and their places cannot be substituted.
If the Continental Senior Championships had not been organised in the previous year, then the relevant Continental Organisation shall decide which players shall be granted personal rights, subject to the confirmation of EVE.
8.1 The accommodation with full board in a single room in a 3-4 star hotel shall be offered by the Organiser for players mentioned in Rules 6. & 7. above.
8.2 The accommodation choices for seniors' competitions shall include hotels of different categories (minimum – at 3-star hotel) and different meal plans (BB, HB and FB). Participants can choose a hotel besides the ones offered by the Organiser with at least a 3-week notice.
Number of rounds & Time Control
9. There shall be a minimum of 9 rounds.
10. The time control for each game shall be: 90 minutes for the first 40 moves, followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with an increment of 30 seconds per move starting from move 1.
11. There shall be medals and cups for the first three places in each category. The Organiser is expected to give additional prizes.
12. The Organiser shall provide a prize fund of minimum 25 000 Euros.
Playing Conditions and Promotion
13. The Championships shall be held under supervision of EVE according to standards starting from chess equipment, playing conditions to promotion of the event, including website with daily photos, live games transmission, live comments and parallel activities.
14. The Organiser must follow all FIDE Rules and Regulations relevant for the competition.
15. All other organizational and tournament details shall be written in the Tournament Invitation. The Tournament Invitation shall be approved by FIDE Council.